Flaybrick Cemetary Memorial Gardens Bidston Birkenhead Wirral
 
~ HOME
~ NEWS
~ EVENTS
~ HISTORY
~ BIOG - Isaac Roberts
~ BIOG - Arthur Doodson
~ BIOG - Lock Ah Tam
~ BIOG - Charles Frederick Morgan
~ LAYOUT
~ MANAGEMENT
~ MEMORIAL INSCRIPTIONS
~ NATURAL HISTORY
~ GENERAL INFORMATION
~ FLAYBRICK DVD
~ ARBORETUM
~ MAP PAGE
~ FRIENDS
~ LINKS
~ GUESTBOOK
~ GREAT TREES OF WIRRAL

Rapid growth in Birkenhead's population made it necessary for the provision of a municipal cemetery. Originally planned in the 1840s, Joseph Paxton was approached for a design. Due to the recession and subsequent decrease in population the plan went no further. By the 1860s a boom made a municipal cemetery a priority. A competition was held for the design which Edward Kemp, Curator of Birkenhead Park won. The site chosen was Flaybrick Hill, a prominent location outside of Birkenhead overlooked by Bidston Hill. 16.5 acres were purchased but this was extended to 26 acres in the 1890s. Kemp was assisted by Edward Mills, a prominent Birkenhead surveyor from Hamilton Square, and Messrs Lucy and Littler, architects of Liverpool. The general contractor was William Rimmer of Bidston Hall, with John Miller of St. Helens the contractor for buildings.

The cemetery was officially opened 30th May 1864 and named Birkenhead Cemetery. Three Chaples were provided. The Roman Catholic Chapel was demolished in 1971 and a Memorial Wall erected on its site. The two other Chapels for the Non-conformists and the Church of England were last used in 1975. The Registrar's office and Sexton's Lodge are now in private hands.

~

 

Email Flaybrick



The Friends of Flaybrick are backed by...

Wirral