Flaybrick National Bat Study Centre (Wirral)
The History of Flaybrick Memorial Gardens
In the early to middle 1800's Birkenhead's population expanded massively, causing a major pressure on the surrounding churchyards. In 1843 it was decided that there was a need for a municipal cemetery. The Birkenhead Improvement Commission chose a beautiful situation next to Bidston Hill, near a sandstone quarry (which was later incorporated into the Cemetery and expanded the 16 acre site to a staggering 26 acres). The Commission began to formulate plans for the Cemetery in 1862 and called upon Edward Kemp (Curator of Birkenhead Park) to draw up a design.
The first burial was in November 1863. The interment was only temporary and the body was then re-interred in a vault once the area was consecrated. The Cemetery was officially opened in 1864. Since then, there have been over 100,000 interments, 8,000 of which where in the first 10 years.
The Cemetery is spit into three denominations:- Non conformist, Church of England and Roman Catholic. Each denomination was provided with a beautiful chapel. Sadly the Roman Catholic chapel has disappeared and the other Chapels (which were last used in 1975) are in a bad state of repair.
has recently been re-designated as a Memorial Gardens, where trees can
be planted into a now expanding arboretum. There have been many improvements
over the last ten years headed by the Friends of Flaybrick Memorial Gardens
including new railings, regular public walks and Inscription recordings.
The Friends are made up of local people who feel that Flaybrick is a site
of outstanding beauty and historical importance. They have been working
closely with Wirral Borough Council towards ensuring that the dignity
and beauty are not lost with the passing of time.
> Chapels & Natural History
The Friends of Flaybrick are backed by...